On the face of it Amsterdam’s reputation is colorful at best. World famous Coffee Shops and a legal Red Light District may be Mecca for teenage boys but for their parents it means price checking breathalysers and chastity belts. So there I am with an invite to a potentially very lucrative business meeting in a city I imagined was as smoggy as a Los Angeles in the eighties.

The first thing to be noted about Amsterdam is how easy and cheap it is to get there. With so many good quality cheap flights available I almost considered not claiming on my companies account! There’s an international airport which is linked to central station by a train service which is modern, clean and very affordable.

After arriving at the station it is only a 2 minute walk to the Damrak (the central square) from which the whole city is a matter of minutes away. The first thing to notice are the bicycles. They are everywhere and with many of the towns streets closed to cars its probably not a bad idea to dust off the peddle pushers yourself.

I opted to take the tram to my hotel which allowed me to enjoy the city without worrying about obstructing cyclists. Amsterdam is beautiful. The canals thread water through the streets bringing a liquid serenity which I have never felt in a city. After alighting at my hotel I was instantly impressed. With over 40 per cent of hotels in Amsterdam being 4-5 star, the fierce competition meant I was being treated like a king for the price of a pauper.

After chatting (in English) with locals in a bar across the road I caught a cab to the Leidseplein. I was told that I could find English speaking plays every night of the week but I found it was me struggling for words. The bright lights and stunning architecture left me dumbstruck. I had bought a Dutch phrase book but with everyone there fluent or practicing English I had actually left it in my case! I found some cheap theatre tickets and decided to return the following night with colleagues.

As my girlfriend will testify, I tend to be highly strung during important work meetings but this time it was my calmness which worried her. It’s just so beautiful here, I told her honestly, it’s like there’s something in the air!î Something tells me my return home won’t be as smooth.

Source : _http://www.mytravelingstory.com/